Religious locations are places we go to when we want to connect with a higher power or gain a deeper understanding of ourselves. Whether it’s a church, temple, mosque or other place of worship, it is not somewhere we go to be bothered or endangered. Many of us think of religious locations as a safe haven, but things can happen. It’s important to make sure that you’re protecting all those who are coming in to look for some peace, quiet and clarity.
Here are 5 tips for increasing security in your religious location.
- Control Access Points: You may have a lot of points on property to exit and enter from, but that doesn’t mean you have to use all of them. Limit the entry points so that it is easier to manage the number of people coming and leaving.
- Hire the Right Staff: Don’t just hire someone to fill a spot. Do background checks and conduct interviews. It’s important that both you and your visitors can trust all the staff and volunteers.
- Lighting: Make sure there is sufficient lighting both inside and outside. Mark all fire exits clearly and install back up lighting if you can. You don’t want to have any areas where someone can hide in the shadows.
- Maintain Inventory: Keep records of everything you have and periodically do an audit to make sure everything is accounted for. Record serial numbers and take photos. Also make sure to keep any and all important documents in a secure area that only the most trusted people have access to. If you don’t want anyone to be able to access something, it’s your responsibility to make sure they can’t.
- Security: Install a security system and/or hire security guards. Start with a security risk analysis and move forward from there. Identifying all possible threats will allow you to not only choose the best places to install cameras and set up alarms, but also conceive a response plan in the event of an emergency. Use a company you can trust with guards trained to fit your needs.
There are so many variables in a place of worship that it may seem overwhelming when it comes to ensuring the security of the location, but these tips are here to help. Take a step back and analyze what you’re doing today in terms of safety. Think about what can be improved and formulate steps on how to do it. It’s important to revisit security often because things change. An upcoming holiday may be bringing in more visitors or renovations to the location may require the installation of more alarms or cameras. Whatever the change, it is essential that you do all that you can to ensure that your visitors feel safe and are protected.
Call us today at 305-945-5022 to learn more about how you can ensure your safety, as well as the safety of your guests.