Avoid Loss During the Upcoming Retail Holiday Season
The holidays are approaching and your retail store is likely to see more customers during the retail holiday season. Keeping your products on the shelves and out of the pockets of thieves will take some careful planning and consideration. It’s easier to plan for theft before it happens rather then after. In this post, we’ll share 7 ways to prepare your retail store for retail holiday season. If you’re doing some of these already then you are ahead of the game, but if you’re not, not to worry, there is still time to prepare.
Are you equipped with the necessary tools to prevent theft and loss?
1. Well-Trained Employees – Employees are the first line of defense when it comes to preparing your store for the retail holiday season. Make sure your employees…
- Keep eyes open and heads up
- Make eye contact with customers
- Are aware of know common shoplifting tricks and techniques
- Are aware of all customers in the store
- Identify the number of items being taken into the fitting room so the costumer knows what enters and what comes out
2. Plan Seasonal Hires in Advance – The retail holiday season will undoubtedly bring more costumers into your store. Make sure you hire enough staff to manage the increased traffic. Not being able to attend to the entire store and your customers may bring unwanted loss.
3. Exit Bag Checks – Keeping an employee at the exit that can check bags and receipts will significantly reduce theft. This person could be one of the seasonal employees you hire.
4. Security Cameras – Installing cameras will help you identify theft once it’s happened and hopefully deter thieves from stealing in the first place.
5. Security Tags – You can install security tags on vulnerable items to ensure an alarm goes off if the item is removed, alerting your team to the theft.
6. Inventory Management – Are you checking new inventory before it is going on the floor? Being aware of the products being sold will make sure the numbers match up at close out. Make sure your trusted employees have access to new inventory to make sure it’s sold and it doesn’t gain legs and walk away without being paid for.
7. Secret Shoppers – Testing your employees might be something you should consider. Well-trained employees at preventing theft will reduce the likelihood of loss.
These are just a few tips to prepare your retail store for the upcoming retail holiday season. If any of these tips seem overwhelming, we’re here for you. ORNA can help you create a security plan that alleviates theft and keeps your retail store secure. The retail holiday season is when traffic to your store is higher and theft is more likely. Don’t interfere with your happy holidays and prepare your retail store for the retail holiday season by calling ORNA at 305-945-5022 or click here to learn more about the retail holiday season.